Thursday, August 31, 2006

Books!!!

I just finished reading two great books. "The System of the World" is the final book in Neal Stephenson's The Baroque Cycle. The series covers about 50 years of war, invention, and politics from the late 1600's through 1700's. Even better is that the main characters are the ancestors of the characters in his other great book, "Cryptonomicon." He has a great writing style that I love.

The other book I just finished was "The Dante Club" which chronicles a series of fictional murders from Dante's Inferno being reenacted in the late 19th Century Boston. And who must solve the murders but Longfellow and friends who comprised the actual "Dante Club" whom aided Longfellow in his first American translation of Dante's work. It is a great mystery that holds the readers attention.

I also now must blaim Barnes and Noble for the following. They recently made their classics half-priced, which means that I have bought a ton of these things. My goal is to read them as they are actually classics. I will start Dante soon given I just read the Dante Club, but am starting with Wilde's "The Picture of Dorian Grey." I have about twenty others that I will report on as I read them. As classes are starting up again soon, I will just have to see how much time I have to read.

One quick note on movies: RV was okay, but predictable. Robot Chicken from Adult Swim is absolutely hilarious! Claymation and 1980's action figures in comic sketches! Awesome!

No comments: